Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Friday, August 7, 2009

Somebody likes my wolf stories(yay!)

I must be getting famous. Greg Laden's blog mentioned my post about the second wolf pack in Washington State in his Blogospherics column.  I've been "acquainted" with Dr. Laden for some time now.  He's an anthropologist whose main work has been in Africa, which is not exactly known for its canids.  That is, unless you count the endangered African wild dogs, or jackals.  Well, they are canids, although the former are not very closely related to wolves.  Jackals are in the genus Canis.  Well, anyway, it was nice of Dr. Laden to do this. . . .we have our disagreements on some things, but I really appreciate this.

 

Thanks, Dr. Laden!\

Anne G

2 comments:

Anna van Gelderen said...

I have just returned from Africa (Namibia), where we saw quite a few jackals. I was surprised how beautiful these animals are: half dog, half fox, and very liveley.

Anne Gilbert said...

Anna:

Iove only seen wildlife films of jackals. They're quite interesting animals, and little seems to be known about them. Many people(apparently mistakenly) believe they are loners, unlike wolves. Buth like wolves, they form packs. So do coyotes, which are very similar in some ways to jackals. Even in urban areas they form packs. There is supposed to be aunch of them less than a mile from where I live(there are lots of things for them to eat in the area). And yes, they are beautiful and interesting creatures.