Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snowed in

It's been snowing all day, off and on. And I've been snowed in! It's pretty, too. It looks like a Christmas card, and it isn't even Christmas! The snow is kind of crunchy on top and kind of soft below, which makes it fairly easy to walk in, safely. Now you may be wondering at this point, where I live. Not in Alaska. Or Minnesota, or some place that routinely gets a lot of snow in the winter. Nope. I live in Seattle, where it's supposed to rain all the time(but it doesn't, particularly in the summer). And people around here are snow wimps and heat wimps(I'm not a heat wimp any more, because I lived in Texas for two years). Nan Hawthorne has a discourse on the um, dark side of snow in Seattle, which is considerable, because everything shuts down if the white stuff comes. I think people around here have a love-hate relationship with snow. They love to play and ski in it(the former especially when it first falls, and everything is ethereal). But if it stays cold long enough, everything essentially shuts down, like today, which fortunately is Sunday. And things may stay that way, indefinitely. That is the "dark side".

Still, it's nice to be snowed in once in a while, and be able to post to my blog, without feeling totally squeezed for time like I often do. I have more time to write, too.
Anne G

No comments: