Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Sunday, September 14, 2008

More thoughts about this blog

It's been a little over a year since I started this blog. Okay, I said that already, in another post, which you can read here That was "anniversary musings", and it was more about Neandertals than about writing. Which brings me to the central point of this little essay.

I write a lot about Neandertals: the latest discoveries in the news and what they seem to imply, any studies I can get my hands on, and my thoughts on them, and the musings of other writers on Neandertals, where appropriate. For example, see my thoughts on a recent Robert Sawyer essay(there are links to that piece). I do this because Neandertals, and some of my ideas on them, are a central element, and implicitly embedded in my Great Medieval Science Fiction Masterpiece With Neandertals. Even the setting in medieval England is used, as there are mentions of places like Boxgrove.

Less frequently, I write about medieval subjects. I say, "less frequently", simply because medieval-themed material of the kind I'm interested in, doesn't get into the public venue(at least not in the US) with anything like the frequency news Neandertals does. "Neandernews" isn't all that frequent, but when it comes out, I usually get it rather quickly. I have some ideas about medieval-themed stuff, too, but it's as much to correct misimpressions that people then lived in a dark and ignorant age. They didn't, but that's another story for another time.

This dichotomy of subject matter has produced interesting results. I get a fair number of comments(yay!), but they come from two quite different groups. One group seems to be intereste in historical novels, and the other group seems to be interested in prehistoric humans. That's all fine and good, and believe me, I've had some interesting conversations with members of both groups. But there is
absolutely no crossover interest! I realize that people interested in medieval things and people interested in prehistoric things are basically two different groups, but surely I'm not the only prson in the universe, so to speak, who has interests in two divergent topics and am trying to combine them in writing or some other venue? But then again, maybe I am.

This has been an interesting revelation to me, and perhaps a litle bit saddening, but on the other hand, if I'm out there by myself, I'll start a movement. Or maybe not. In any case, I look forward to another year of blogs and comments on them, where appropriate. And regardless of interest, all are welcome to comment.
Anne G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne, My interest spans the whole of time. I subscribe to both paleoanthro and paleosci, am interested in the Dark ages in respect to possible reenactment and the bubonic plague, the period of 1776 to 1850 for reenactment, and others just because I am curious. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of time to surf for everything I am interested in, so I have to be choosy. I choose right now to follow prehistoric threads. The 1776 to 1850 is sounding really interesting right now, I just attended a festival that all participants were required to dress 1812 or so. Ahh, well, reenactment will come, eventually.

Anne Gilbert said...

Elena, sorry it took so long to get back to you. As usual, I've been in and out and writing, when I'm not "here". I fully understand that you must "pick and choose". I do too. It's just that my "prehistoric" and "medieval" interests overlap. At least they do in my writing. I was kind of wondering if anybody else had similarly overlapping spheres of interest here.
Anne G

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anne Gilbert said...

Huh?