Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Thursday, July 26, 2007

password mixup

Well, this doesn't have much to do with writing, either. But it does have something to do with the intricate workings of Google software. I mean, why don't they have something that will allow you to have the site remember this information? These sites are always yelpinig about security. Don't misunderstand. I have no objection to reasonable security. And it isn't as if I'm some company blog(these are getting increasingly popular these days). I do want to advertise myself, in a way, so that when my book is ready to publish, maybe, just maybe, somebody will notice it. But it took me about 15 minutes of "experimentation" to figure out what my password was. My passwords are not things that hackers would basically know how to look up. There are people who do things like Elvis's birthday for their passwords; these are easy to check. I don't. Also , these randomly generated nonsense words and number combinations are impossible to remember. In some situations(e.g. if you're working for Social Security or something) also make sense. But they don't if you're just an "individual". And please, please, don't tell me to change this password every month. That gets complicated. And I have only so many things I can think of. Just make it difficult for idiots to "hack", and I'll take care of the rest.

End of rant because it doesn't have much to do with writing.
Anne G

No comments: