Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yet another very good piece of advice for writers

This particular essay is aimed at romance writers and readers, and is about what the author calls “unusual historicals”, by which she means historical romances not set in Regency England or the Highlands of Scotland.  Yeah, I’ve seen a gazillion of those.  But as the author points out, so have gazillions of romance readers.  And a lot of them want something else.  Now the gentle reader, or would be writer, may think, “well, I don’t read romances, nor do I intend to write them”.  Which is fine, because this advice appeals to any writer, who is furiously writing away.  Basically, the advice is, never mind the tight market(we all know the writer’s market is a very hard sell, and has always been; writers must be prepared for lots of rejections before they sell anything at all).  Write what you love to write about, no matter what the subject or the era you’re writing about, or the genre you’re writing in.  Eventually, if you are persistent enough, you will find a market.  And you will find readers who are willing to read it.  I know, I know.  I have to keep telling myself this, too.  And a gentle reminder every now and then, never hurts, so I’m taking this lady’s advice(and my own, as well).

Anne G

No comments: