Redheaded Neanderlady

Redheaded Neanderlady
This is a photoshopped version of something I found in National Geographic about the time I started researching

Saturday, November 7, 2009

NaNoWriMo, Week One

I've gotten through a whole week of NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month!  I still don't know what I'm doing, but I've written "above quota" for the month.  It's been an interesting experience so far.  The good thing about it is, I've learned a lot from just doing this one week.  First of all, I've kept at it.  I've also learned that, even with just a single character to start with, I can take a whack at writing a novel.  Better yet, it has forced me to concentrate on actually writing, in a disciplined way.  I usually get out about seven pages per session, and what I have always seems to be more than is required(I keep track of the word count.  I'm reasonably confident that I'll succeed in this endeavor, even if, on some days, they words just don't come very easily.  They didn't today.  And I'm confident that I'll succeed, even if the result isn't very much  -- yet.  It's basically a very rough draft, and I know I'm going to be changing a lot of stuff for whatever revisions I make.  But beyond that, I don't know how the story is going to develop.  I know how it's going to end -- very dramatically.  But it's a "prequel", so it is also going to tie into what I'm writing now.  So far, BTW, I've written 14,433 words, by actual count.  That isn't as many as some, but it's above what you're "supposed" to do, so I'm patting myself on the back.  We'll see how Week Two goes.  I'll report back, naturally.

Anne G

No comments: